Wednesday, November 28, 2007



Phyramus and Thisbe


I am Phyramus the handsomest youth, and I am Thisbe the fairest maiden. We both lived in
Babylonia, where Semiramis reigned, and we are also neighbors. Our love was greater than anyone’s, but our parents didn`t want us together. For our fortune, there was a crack in the wall that separated our houses, through which we tried to tell us our feelings by tender messages. Our love was so big that we could not resist anymore leaving separated, that’s why we decided to escape, where our parents could not find us. We agreed in leaving our houses at night, and meet at the tomb of Ninus, the one who arrives first, should wait for the other at the foot of a certain tree, a mulberry tree next to a small lake. I waited until all my family was asleep, and then I covered my head with a veil so that none recognized me. I arrived first than Phyramus, so I had to wait for him. I saw a very big lion, coming out of the trees, with his bloody mouth. I hided in the hollow of a rock. But I didn’t notice that I had dropped my veil.
When the lion finished drinking in the small lake, he saw my veil and he started to play with it, living it with blood. When I Phyramus came, I saw the lion steps and the veil with blood. I thought it was Thisbe`s blood, so I started to blame my self for not being there on time to safe her. So I also decided to die to be with my lover. I took my sword and plunged it in my heart. My blood that dropped into the earth, reached inside the tree roots transforming the white mulberries into red. When I Thisbe, noticed that the tree had changed its color, I recognized my lover. I started to cry, I was very sad I didn’t knew what to do. I looked at his sword and I decided it was time to be together, so I plunged it into my breast. Our bodies were buried in one sepulchre, and the tree ever after had purple berries.


Maria paulina Arango B.

Carlos Paraga.”Pyramus and Thisbe” .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramus_and_Thisbe. November/28/2007.