Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Dionysus







I am Dionysus or Bacchus as the roams call me. I am the god of wine. Son of the mighty Zeus and Semele, princes of Thebes. I am known for the intoxication power of my wine, and the nature. I can control nature and I am recognized and wanted among mortals. I can be killed as a mortal, but each time I die, winter comes with me killing nature and humans crops. But I have the power to reborn again, and that is when spring comes.



One day my father Zeus was mad at Semele, and he killed her with a light storm. After my mother was sent to the underworld, I went after her and brought her back to life and I’m also known as a god who brought someone back to life.


The king of Crete, Midas founded one day one of my son Silenus wondering in his land, and after he recognized him, he gave him great hospitality and then gave him back to me. To show him my appreciation I gave him the power of "the golden touch". Anything he touched will become gold. Due to he’s greed, I indirectly punished him by making him kill her daughter when he touched her. I’m also known for punishing mortals when they act foolish or with dishonor.






BY: Santiago Vallejo

sources
http://www.online-mythology.com/midas/ http://www.mythweb.com/encyc/entries/dionysus.html