Tuesday, November 27, 2007


I am Perseus, mostly remembered for the killing of the Gorgon Medusa. My Parents were Jupiter (Zeus) and Danaë. When I was little my father alarmed by an oracle that told him I will be the instrument of his death, he sent me on a chest to the seas. The chest floated toward Seriphus, where I was found by a fisherman. Fortunately the man took me to Polydectes, the king of the country who treat us with kindness. Time passed, and when I grew up Polydectes sent me to kill Medusa.
Medusa was a terrible monster that laid on the country. She has been once a beautiful maiden known by her beautiful hair, unlucky her she dare with Minerva to vie in beauty. The goodness disadvantaged her of her charms and changed her beautiful hair into horrible serpents. Medusa became a cruel monster of such a terrible aspect, that every living thing that saw her immediately turned into stone. It was believed that her cavern was covered with stony figures of animals and men who had once saw her and had been petrified with the sight.
Returning to my life story, when I was sent to attempt the conquest of Medusa, I received both, Minerva and Mercury’s help. The way I kill her was very simple, I enter to her cavern while she slept. Taking care of not looking at her directly, I used her reflection on the shield I wore. What I do next, was cut off her head ending with her life. Finally I gave the horrible creature head to Minerva.

Sources:
Jalin Inc. “Perseus and Medusa” http://www.online-mythology.com/perseus_medusa/
BULLFINCH,Thomas."Perseus and Medusa" is reprinted from The Age of Fable.Boston: Lothrop, 1894. http://www.usefultrivia.com/mythology/perseus_and_medusa.html
DIBON-SMITH, Richard. “Perseus” http://www.dibonsmith.com/per_con.htm

Carolina Poch Enciso