Tuesday, November 27, 2007

HERA


I am Hera, but my Roman name is Juno, I am the goddess of marriage and Zeus is my husband and younger brother.
My parents were Cronus and Rhea, when I was born, I was abruptly swallowed due to a prophesy that stated that one of Cronus’ children would take over his throne, but this was hided to Zeus and when he grew older, he saved all my brothers and sisters and killed Cronus.
I am the reigning female goddess at Olympus. There are many temples that had been worshipped to me throughout Greece: in Olympia, Corinth, Tiryns, Perachora and the sacred island of Delos, and the most important ones were constructed for me. Mycenaeans celebrate festivals in my honor called “Heraia”.
I am best known for my stories of jealousy toward Zeus. One of them was long time ago with a nymph named Echo, she had the job to distract me from Zeus’ adventures talking intensively to him, when I discovered the deception, I cursed Echo to only repeat words of others. I have acts of jealousy even with Zeus sons. I hate Heracles, son of Zeus, when he was young, I sent snakes to attack him and later I enthused up the entire Amazon against him, because I didn’t want Zeus to pay attention at him more than to me.
I have two sons: Ares and Hephastus; and three daughters: Eilithyia, Eris and Hebe. I have magical abilities and I can cast spells to change the form of size and appearance of others.

Bibliography:
“Hera”.
http://www.mythweb.com/gods/Hera.html. Date accessed: November 25, 2007.
BY. CAROLINA ANGEL LONDOÑO